Sunday, May 19, 2019

Kowhai Museum Trip

Last Tuesday we walked across Anzac Parade Bridge and down to Te Whare Taonga o Waikato (Waikato Museum).
We were there to find out about the great waka Te Winika, learn about the carvings and Te Ao Maori.

Te Winika was found at Port Waikato.

The tail is made from flax and
drapes in the water.

This is a tree similar to that from
which Te Winika was made.

Looking onto the river,
and if you look carefully you can see
Hamilton East School and the Redwood Tree.

The eyes are made from albatross feathers. 


The children were interested to
see paua shells as eyes.



Women are significant in the carvings.


We had a chance to draw patterns too. 


Tongue of the Dog.

It was a fantastic morning - so busy and so much to see.  Some great writing came out of the trip.  Here is a sample:

I saw the Mum carving.
By Simon.

I liked when we were in the dark.
We saw Matariki.
By Nessie.

I liked finding the stuff on the paper.
I found the moon and the tui.
By Elizabeth.

I liked the waka.
It is super old.
It is 200 years old.
By Hawaiki.

I saw the waka.
I liked the fluffy feathers.
By Gloria.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Winter is Coming

We have been exploring ideas about the coming of winter, leaves falling off trees, and how this happens. Our poem this week was about winter...